The ASMR community is fast-growing, with over 50 million people watching ASMR videos on YouTube.
They are able to record these faint sounds using a high-quality microphone for ASMR.
So, why the fuss?
ASMR is an acronym for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, which means that you experience a tingly feeling by either watching certain activities or hearing specific sounds. People have compared this feeling to a brain orgasm but in a non-sexual way.
ASMR audios are known to reduce stress and insomnia; therefore, a high-quality output will either make or break you.
To achieve the ideal sound quality, you will require an excellent microphone.
After thorough research, I have analyzed the eight best ASMR microphones that you should consider buying.
- Blue Yeti Condenser Microphone
- Audio-Technica AT875R Condenser Microphone
- LyxPro SDPC-2 Stereo Pair of Pencil Condenser Stick Microphones
- Tascam DR-05X Stereo Handheld Digital Recorder
- Rode NT1-A-MP Cardioid Condenser Microphones
- Zoom zh1 h1 handy portable digital recorder
- Zoom H4N PRO Digital Multitrack Recorder
- 3Dio FS Binaural Microphone
Best ASMR Microphone Reviews:
1. Blue Yeti Condenser Microphone
This one made my list of best microphones as it is relatively small and weighs about 3 pounds; hence, it is portable.
The Blue Yeti has a beautiful design and consists of a durable metallic casing.
It stands almost a foot tall; however, it is easily foldable for storage or when packing.
The Blue Yeti USB microphone comes with a cable that connects to your PC and is easy to the plugin.
What I like most about the Blue Yeti microphone is that it is effortless to use.
It has an inbuilt analog to digital converter, which makes your work easier.
It also has a headphone jack that you can use to monitor the quality of your audio.
What makes it ideal for ASMR audio recording is the three condenser microphone capsules that allow you to record in any situation.
The Blue Yeti has multiple polar patterns. These patterns include cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional, and stereo recording.
Moreover, it is compatible with windows and mac OS and only requires 64 MB of RAM.
The Blue Yeti microphone also made our list of the best microphones for youtube videos.
The Blue Yeti is ideal for interviews, podcasting, voiceovers, and so much more.
Overall it is a high-quality microphone. We also recommend getting a pop filter for your Blue Yeti.
For more detailed specs please visit the manufacturer’s official website.
- Coming with a Cardioid Mode, this microphone is the perfect option for people that want to do podcasting or gaming.
- This Microphone comes with a feature that allows it to change its polar patterns.
- This Microphone features Omnidirectional and Bidirectional mode.
- If you are not going to use Different Pickup Patterns, then we suggest to move on and look for a better product.
2. Audio-Technica AT875R Condenser Microphone
This shotgun condenser microphone measures about 7 inches long and weighs 0.17 pounds, which will come in handy when mounting on a DSLR.
It consists of a durable material and comes with a foam filter. Unlike the Blue Yeti, the Audio-Technica AT875R is a little bit more complicated.
Pair this microphone with one of our top youtube cameras and you will be producing high-quality ASMR videos.
The microphone has an input level of 127 dB SPL and an impendence of 100 ohms, which is very impressive.
It has a line and gradient polar pattern; thus, it can pick sounds from a distance.
Additionally, it has a frequency response of 90-20000Hz.
Frequency response refers to the range of audio the microphone can produce and its output variation based on that range.
One of the best features of the Audio-Technica AT875R is its ability to reject noise from the sides.
The microphone has an S/N of 74 dB, which is pretty decent for ASMR audio recording.
It requires a three-pin balanced XLR cable and phantom power; hence, if you are a new ASMR artist, it might be somewhat confusing.
- This Microphone for ASMR comes with a dynamic range that produces a rich sound and a lot of clarity.
- This Microphone comes at a really good price.
- The Directional Characteristics of this Microphone are rather good.
3. LyxPro SDPC-2 Stereo Pair of Pencil Condenser Stick Microphones
These microphones have a unique design. They are small and lightweight; thus, portable.
The stereo pair most accurately captures even the slightest audio nuances for recording.
One of the fascinating features of these microphones is that they come with Omni, cardioid, and super-cardioid capsules that enable you to change your pickup pattern.
You can easily switch through the three polar patterns with one hand; thus, it is an excellent option for ASMR audio recording.
The two microphones make it very easy to do a binaural recording; consequently, profoundly improving the output.
Additionally, it has a frequency response of 30Hz-18 kHz and a Sensitivity of -38 dB ± 3dB, which means it will pick sound as quiet as -35dB.
They come with custom-fit foam windscreens, two smooth tilting microphone clips, and an attractive aluminum carrying case.
- This Microphone for ASMR happens to be very easy to use.
- Maintaining this microphone is rather simple and easy.
- This microphone offers amazing sound quality for the price it comes at.
- Upon its use, some users may receive a lot of static.
4. Tascam DR-05X Stereo Handheld Digital Recorder
This microphone is a handheld recorder with amazing features and high-quality sound output. It is small and lightweight, thus portable.
The main reason I would recommend this recorder for ASMR videos and audios is that the dual internal condenser microphones can handle anything from subtle to loud, with sensitivity to capture every detail.
Additionally, it has an omnidirectional polar pattern that allows you to record all the surrounding sounds.
The Tascam DR-05X is very efficient; it assures you up to 17.5 hours of recording with only a pair of double-A batteries.
However, if you need more recording hours, you can use a USB mobile battery that is long-lasting.
The microphone has an auto recording signal that detects the input signal and starts recording automatically.
In case you are looking for a recorder that is easy to use, this is the one for you.
Operations such as, adjusting levels, deleting bad takes, and adding markers are just a button press away.
It is an excellent choice for recording music, dictation, and interviews.
- The audio quality of this Microphone for ASMR is very good as it comes paired with great Stereo imaging.
- This product offers an amazing binaural effect when used with headphones.
- The design of this microphone happens to be an elegant one.
- This mic picks up a lot of surround sound.
5. Rode NT1-A-MP Cardioid Condenser Microphones
It is a condenser microphone that is relatively heavy, weighing about 330 grams.
It comes with shock mounts, pop filters, XLR cable, and a 10-year warranty.
In case you are recording the rain, tapping sound, or whispers, this is the microphone you need.
It has a wide dynamic range, which means that it can record a variation of audios.
Additionally, it has an impendence of 100 ohms and a frequency response of 20-2000Hz, which means a wide range of input and output.
The recorder has a cardioid polar pattern meaning it can only pick sounds from one direction; therefore, an ASMR artist will have to stand in front of the microphone for good quality audio.
The reason I like this mic is that it has a low noise level of 5dBA which can pick up the faintest sound.
It is also a great option when recording music. The price range on this device is a bit higher, but it is worth the cost.
I have personally seen this microphone being used in some of the most popular ASMR videos on youtube.
- This Overall Microphone for ASMR features a Cardioid Polar Pattern.
- Due to this feature, the device is capable of offering good sound quality.
- This Overall Microphone for ASMR has a flat frequency response.
- Due to it, the sound quality of this Microphone is considerably better than the other options.
- The Pricing of this Microphone makes it a good choice, considering the many features that it has to offer.
- This Overall Microphone is heavy as it features a full metal body all around.
6. Zoom zh1 h1 handy portable digital recorder
It is yet another recorder that is very easy to use. It has an array of buttons by the side for easy control.
Once you buy this microphone, all you need is an external memory, and you are ready to start recording.
It gives you the option to record MP3 or WAV formats.
Additionally, it allows you to cut the frequencies. The recorder has a phased directional microphone for a higher quality sound pick-up and clear stereo.
Once you record, the Zoom zh1 h1 saves each audio file into folders, which makes it easy to switch from WAV recording to MP3.
It has a USB 2.0 slot that you can use to connect to your PC for smooth data transfer as well as charging the recorder.
At the bottom is a speaker that allows you to listen to the quality of the audio.
One of my favorite features about this recorder is the high-quality output you will get.
In case you need to record ASMR audio with this microphone, I would recommend you chose a quiet room.
- Since this product is made from good quality materials, this product happens to be one of the most enduring options on the list.
- This product happens to be easy to use and since it is lightweight, this product happens to be highly portable.
- For anyone that is starting out with the use of a Microphone, this product is the best option.
- The battery backup of this Microphone is not as good as the others.
7. Zoom H4N PRO Digital Multitrack Recorder
This microphone has a unique design and can easily fit in the palm of your hand.
It comes with a pair of double-A batteries; however, you can still use a USB cable to charge the recorder.
This device can record up to 4 tracks at the same time. It has inbuilt stereo XY microphones.
Additionally, you can easily change the pair of unidirectional microphones from 90 degrees (for tightly focused sound) to 120 degrees (for a full stereo).
The H4N possesses two XLR/TRS inputs with locking connectors that allow you to send data from your audio interface easily.
It comes with two high-quality stereo condenser microphones. This recorder can easily store the data file to SD/SDHC cards up to 32 GB making it easy for the user.
It is Compatible with; window vista and other newer windows and Mac OS X 10.6 and its later version.
Should you chose this device for ASMR audio recording, I would suggest you record in a room with minimal noise for high-quality output.
- One of the best options considering the price of this product.
- This Best Overall Microphone becomes easy to use.
- This product comes with a Bonus Software Steinberg Cubase LE and Wavelab LE
- This Overall Microphone for ASMR will not be able to handle line-level signals.
8. 3Dio FS Binaural Microphone
Last but not least is the 3Dio FS Binaural Microphone that creates a 3D effect just like the human ear would.
It has a unique design with two human-like ears at the side that amplify sound from all directions.
Inside the ears are two Primo EM 172 microphones.
It has an omnidirectional polar pattern; hence, it can pick sounds from the microphone surroundings.
The 3Dio has a 108 dB wide range, which makes it the ideal microphone for ASMR audio recording.
Additionally, the 3Dio recorder has a low sensitivity to RFI. RFI refers to unwanted sounds that interfere with the sound systems.
Other than ASMR audio recording, this microphone is an excellent choice for VR virtual reality.
It has a 9-volt battery that is within the metallic casing and can last up to 300 hours of continuous use.
- This camera happens to be one of the most covert options.
- To clarify, The camera looks rather slim and inconspicuous.
- Due to this, shooting covertly in Public places is easy.
- This camera includes features such as compressors, bass cut-outs, fx, etc.
- Considering these features, this camera can be considered one of the best options.
- This ASMR microphone can be controlled by a remote.
- The users can start, stop recording even when they are far from the microphone.
- When a user utilizes phantom control on the external ASMR microphone, the batteries of this microphone get consumed in no time.
- Low battery backup can be a huge problem to deal with.
9. SENNHEISER MKH416
If you are in search of something that is premium, then this product happens to be a perfect choice.
This microphone happens to be a choice of Professional ASMR musicians considering how good this Microphone is.
Many people commonly use this microphone for voice-over recording.
Coming with the recording of the cardioid path, this microphone happens to be the perfect option.
- This happens to be one of the most premium options on the list.
- This Microphone Generates a very premium sound quality.
- This Microphone has a recording of the Cardioid path.
- This product happens to be one of the most fragile options on the list.
10. SE ELECTRONICS X1 S MICROPHONE STUDIO
In ASMR Recording, most people look for “Quiet” Sound.
Steering clear of any background noise, this product happens to be one of the best options!
This Microphone comes as a bundle that contains the Microphone, a Reflexion filter, shock install, and an incorporated Pop Filter.
Combine all of them and you get a complete product.
- This product features a firm built.
- This product happens to be a great buy as it offers the best value for money.
- The Microphone produces a decent performance which makes it offer a great sound quality for acoustic music.
- To remove the chances of Stand loss, the Filter mounting hardware must be set up with care.
How to Choose the Best ASMR Microphone? – A Buyer’s Guide:
Whether you an ASMR artist looking to upgrade your microphone or a beginner, here are some of the factors you must consider before purchase:
Type of microphone:
There are three main types of recorders available in the market:
- Dynamic microphones – They are not sensitive to sound, thus great for loud sources and are very common. They have a unidirectional polar pattern, also known as a cardioid pattern, which means they only record sound from one direction and ignores all other sounds. I would highly discourage these types of microphones for ASMR audio recording.
- Condenser microphones – They are sensitive to sound but are more flimsy than dynamic microphones. Condenser microphones generally give a high-quality output. They have four polar patterns.
- Unidirectional pattern (cardioid) – It allows the microphone to pick sound from one direction only.
- Super-cardioids – They are more directional than cardioids.
- Bi-directional pattern – It allows the microphone to pick sound from the front and back, and the rest of the audio cannot be detected.
- Omnidirectional pattern – It allows the microphone to pick sound from the surroundings, and no sound is left undetected. If you are an ASMR artist or just a beginner, this is the type of microphone you should buy.
- Ribbon microphones – They are unique types of dynamic microphones and are generally bidirectional.
Microphone Self Noise:
Microphone self-noise is an essential factor to consider before purchase.
It is the noise a microphone produces by itself when there is no sound present; most people refer to it as the background noise.
All receivers make self-noises, but some produce less than others.
As an ASMR artist, most of the sounds you record are in terms of whispers or soft voices; therefore, any audible noise can be detrimental to the output.
There are two ways you can determine the Microphone Self Noise;
In the specification box, the self-noise is in terms of dBA; any microphone with less than 15dBA will be an excellent option for you. Remember, the lesser the dBA, the better.
More times than not, the self-noise will not be in terms of dBA. However, another way of determining the self-noise is by the signal-to-noise ratio, often written as S/N.
S/N is the measure of signal strength in comparison to background noise. It is in terms of decibels (dB).
A higher value of dB means good quality audio, and any microphone with over 80dB is excellent for an ASMR artist.
- Binaural Microphones: The binaural sound recording uses two microphones at equal distances from the ears to produce 3D audio that fools the brain to think the sound is coming from around you. As an ASMR artist, you need your audience to experience this feeling; thus, it is a crucial factor to put into consideration.
- Polar patterns: This refers to the sensitivity of a microphone to pick sound from a specific direction. When it comes to the polar patterns, your choice will highly depend on the source of noise or your preference. Some of the polar patterns include cardioids, super cardioids, omnidirectional, bi-directional.
There are two primary sources of power in microphones, namely:
- Phantom power – Most of the condenser microphones require an XLR connection that is in connection with an adapter. The adapter provides power for the recorder to run. XLR connections consume a lot of energy
- USB power – They only require the usual USB port to run, use less power, and are very easy to use.
It will usually range from 80-1500 Hz; a higher value is better.
When buying any microphone, the Impendence plays an important role.
An ideal mic should have less than 200 ohms.
In this case, lower is always better.
Frequently Asked Questions:
All the recording devices mentioned above are a great choice with a fairly low price point; they, most importantly, all produce high-quality audio at a real-time rate that puts you on the next level.
Your choice will highly depend on your preference and budget.
As an ASMR artist, the most crucial thing to work on is the quality of the audio.
A good quality video with low-quality audio is intolerable; conversely, good quality audio with low-quality video is tolerable.
In case you want to start recording the ASMR audios, I would recommend you start with the microphone that is easiest to use.